Sunday, January 23, 2011

Training Ride #1 Finished

I woke up this morning and made my way to the parking garage with road bike and gear in hand. The place was kind of eerie without a soul in sight. The first ride of the season for me was the 9th Annual Frost Bike 50 in support of the Jersey Village High School drill team. I wanted to take it easy so I rode the 45 mile route. My official time was around 3 hours with two rest stops. Lifetime Fitness better get their bikes ready for me because I'll be hitting them hard. It seems like I start my MS 150 training later and later every year. Maybe it is out of laziness, but I like to think it is because I am well conditioned... ;)

It's now time to rest up the region of my body that was pressed against a rock hard road bike seat for hours. I won't go into detail, but I'm sure you can guess what I'm talking about. Other parts of your body will hurt before your legs on these long bike rides, for reals.

Before I end this post, I wanted to share something that happened to me today after the ride. It is smart to get some protein into your body after a workout like the one I had today so I went to a restaurant for some chicken fajitas. The interesting part is that I forgot to bring a change of clothes so I walked in wearing my bike gear, including my bike shorts. Now, for those of you who have never seen bike shorts, they're tight and have padding where you would sit on the bike seat. The restaurant had just opened and so all the employees were lined up near the front and I definitely got some interesting glances. I shuffled over to the table that they took me to waaaaaaaaaaay in the back and sat down. I wanted to order before I went to wash my hands so I did and made my way to the restroom on the other side of the restaurant. I briskly walked down the hall and tried not to draw attention to myself, tight, padded pants and all. I felt so embarassed, but I was hungry so whatever. The worst part happened upon exit of the restaurant. I ran into an older, nicely dressed couple at the door and immediately realized that I had been walking past people who had just come from church. :X

I am bringing jeans and a shirt to the next ride...

No comments:

Post a Comment