Saturday, September 25, 2010

Review - Flora and Muse

I finally went in today with my sweety and had dinner. The front entrance is a little difficult to find, but look for the little chalkboard out front and go in that door. Sometimes they keep the front doors propped open and the flowers at the front entrance draw your eyes into the restaurant. Right next to the flowers, you'll see the pastries and your eyes will tell your brain to go inside. Once inside, you feel like you've stepped through a portal into a small European restaurant (where everyone talks with an American accent).

If you're there for a meal, then you should walk past the pastries and towards the hostess. When we went, the hostess was probably sitting other guests and I had never been here before, so I wandered into the restaurant area looking like a lost person. Thankfully, my sweety spoke to someone and they sat us. Apparently I can't function properly in public without her.

The restaurant was dimly lit and very "chill". We ordered the most unique dishes that we saw on the menu, which were the Pides (turkish pies). There were two different varieties available and we ordered one of each. The sausage and olive pide was a blast of flavor inside my mouth. The saltiness of the olives and the sweetness of the sausage went well together. I had a taste of the chicken, wild mushroom, and guyere pide and it was lighter on the pallete. It reminded me of a meatier quiche as the egg flavor was slightly more dominant than the rest of the ingredients. The crust of the dish was buttery and fantastic.

I ended up ordering a drink as well called a Bailey's Mint Kiss. Being the mixed drink newbie that I am, I didn't realize the drink was a warm one (it came with a straw). I took a big sip and burned the inside of my mouth; my mistake! I don't remember all the ingredients, but it was a minty coffee-like alcoholic beverage.

We ended the evening with a seasonal fruit crostada. I believe it was a peach (seasonal) crostada with vanilla ice cream on top. The flakey goodness of the crostada was to die for and you can't go wrong with vanilla ice cream!

I liked the food a lot and the ambiance was excellent. The food took awhile to come out, but everything is made fresh to order so I could understand why. You have to stay on the waiter/waitress to check for you once in awhile as the tables around us, including us, miraculously received our food after asking our waitstaff to check the kitchen.

If you're meeting up with friends, I would suggest sitting at a table. If you are coming with a special someone, I would suggest a booth. If it is a first date, sit across from her. If it isn't, sit next to her! I will be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment